Mushroom and riccotta filo bake
* 250g strong white flour
* 125ml Luke warm water
* 2-3tbsp oil
* Approx 100g butter, melted
* Alternatively, buy one packet of readymade filo pastry
For the Mushroom Filling:
* 2oz of butter
* 1 clove chopped garlic
* 300g mixed mushrooms roughly chopped
* 150g Spinach
* 250g ricotta cheese
* 50g chopped mixed dried fruit and nuts
* 100grms Parmesan
* 50g breadcrumbs
To make the strudel pastry:
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the water, butter and oil.
- Knead the pastry enough make a dough.
- Brush the dough mixture with oil and leave to rest for 30mins.
For the filling,
- Add 2 oz of butter and 1 tsp of olive oil to a pan with the chopped garlic
- Add the roughly chopped Mushrooms to the pan and cook until browned
- Remove the mushroom mixture from the heat and pour the mushrooms onto a plate, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Using the juices, cook out the spinach very quickly, before sieving to remove any excess liquid.
- Chop the Spinach and add it to the mushrooms
- Using a fork, mix in the ricotta and Parmesan and Dried fruits and nuts, and season with black pepper, sea salt and pinch of nutmeg.
To prepare the pastry coating:
- On a baking flat, individually brush each sheet of the filo with butter and sprinkle over breadcrumbs
- Layer each of the three sheets on top of each other
- Fill the pastry by spreading the mushroom mix over the pastry fold, in the ends, and roll up the pastry.
- Brush the strudel with butter
- Bake it in the oven for 15mins, at 200C
- Brush with butter twice during cooking.